Friday, May 15, 2009

Geek Brigade

Tonight I judged a student-directed festival of plays at Pembroke High School. I was really honored that my friends and former partners, Marcie and Gwynne, invited me, because I love getting the chance to see the work of people I really love and respect. The plays had some positives and negatives, but mostly, I felt so struck by how brave kids can be. An awkward, self-conscious, terrified teenager can get up in front of seniors and his parents and kids from him gym class and play a giraffe in a random artsy-fartsy high school play. That takes some serious courage. It impresses me that so many people are willing to put themselves on the line, and to make themselves foolish in the name of expression and connection.

Anyone see the previews for that new show called "Glee" that they've been advertising during American Idol? I am embarrassingly excited for that show. I feel like they are going to make a show about my exact world. I love geeky arts kids more than anyone in the world. All of my favorite people have that in common to some extent. And I also really love the sci-fi geeks of the world who watch Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and Star Trek. (I don't enjoy the super-crazies, but I enjoy the ones who love it exactly the right amount...and then a liiiiiiitttttle bit more. You know. Those guys.) And to me, the ultimate Coolest People Ever are the ones that have a little bit of both in there.

Being a geek about so many things has brought me infinite joy. Harry Potter...musical theatre...nose-in-a-book diary-keeper...and yeah...I've seen every Star Wars/Star Trek/LOTR movie, too. I am a card-carrying member of the Geek Brigade, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And, yes...I'll be seeing Half Blood Prince at midnight on Bastille Day...wanna make something out of it? You know the Coolest People Ever will be sitting beside me. That's right. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment