Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Kelly Chronicles - The Medley

I will now present The Kelly Chronicles circa the end of 2009 in the form of a Show Tune Monologue/Montage.

Cue the blackout...baby pink spotlight...the vamp begins...then...

Open a new window, open a new door.
Travel a new highway that's never been tried before
Before you find you're a dull fellow, punching the same clock.
Just walking the same tightrope as everyone on the block...

Key change, bump the lights, new vamp...

Don't tell me not to live, just sit and putter. Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter...
Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade!
I'll march my band out. I'll beat my drum!
And if I'm panned out...your turn at bat, sir. I guess I didn't make it. Hat, sir.
At least I didn't fake it. (hold out the sustained e-flat...)

(Insert a speech here...something about thank you for being a part of this journey, it's a great time to be alive, the house cocktail is...you guessed it...a Fauxmopolitan! Pause for laughter...Hop on piano and cross my stockinged legs, my sequins catching light.)

People...people who need people...are the luckiest people in the world!
With one person, one very special person...a feeling deep in your soul.
Says you were half, now you're whole. No more hunger and thirst, but first
Be a person who needs people!
People who need people are the luckiest people in the world.

(Insert here about that beign the conclusion of my Barbra impression, blah blah blah connection, lead into theater, blah blah blah writing, take a sip of my martini, and begin again...)

What next? Maybe a little Corner of the Sky? Maybe something from Little Women? Nah. Not another ballad. Something uptempo. Then maybe introduce a Very Special Guest, like College Roommate Elise or Pete the Artist or Craig from Seattle or that guy who played George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life. Duet duet...kisses and hugs.

Bring it on down now...going to the contemplative place...

I hear a bird...a Gloccamora bird. It well may be he's bringing me a cheering word.
I feel a breeze...a river Shannon breeze! It well may be it's followed me across the seas.
Then tell me, please...
How are things in Gloccamora? Is that little brook still leaping there?
Does it still run down through Donney clove, through Killy Bairn, Killkerry and Kildaire...

(And it totally won't matter that I don't know how to spell those things, or even what the hell I'm saying. They're Irish Places. You will be able to hear that I get the essence. I digress. Please continue your tour...)

I like this one, so I go on...

How are things in Gloccomora? Is that willow tree still weeping there.
Does that laddie with the twinkling eye come whistling by,
and does he walk away, sad and dreamy there, not to see me there.
So I'll ask each weeping willow, and each brook along the way,
and each lad that comes a whistling...too ra lay.
How are things in Gloccomora this fine day?

But it will never do, I explain, to linger in what's past. It's healthy and satisfying to dabble there when you need to, but when it matters, you've got to look forward. You've got to look at what's ahead of you and figure out how to move forward, ever closer to the person you want to be.

Dim the lights for the finale...

Something is stirring, shifting ground.
It's just begun.
Edges are blurring all around, and yesterday is done.
Feel the flow...hear what's happening...we're what's happening.
Don't you know, we're the movers and we're the shapers.
We're the names in tomorrow's papers.
Up to us now to show 'em.

It's our time, breathe it in. Worlds to change and worlds to win.
Our time, coming through. Me and you, pal. Me and you...

I would likely go on for the second verse, bridge and final chorus. And then I would blow kisses and give a low curtsy, and smile with sincere gratitude that you came here to join me tonight.

The encore, of course, will be Freak Flag. Oh, yes it will.

Thank you, and goodnight! Tip your waitress! Drive safe.

God Bless us, every one!

1 comment:

  1. You NEED to do a Cabaret at "Don't tell Mama"! Please! Pretty Please! It would be so good.
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete