Sunday, January 3, 2010

Full Tilt Ahead

"You've Got Mail" has been playing in a pretty much continuous loop on cable for a few weeks now. It could either be a positive sign (since my play is based on the play that it's based on, The Shop Around the Corner) or a bad sign that I've copied something better that copied something better that copied something else better and there's nothing original left under the sun for me to write.

The scene that's on right now is my favorite one, where Tom Hanks brings Meg Ryan daisies in an attempt to make friends. My "let's be friends" scene takes place on a stage and features an astronomy bubble, but the concept is the same. It's meant to be the same, because it's an homage to a romantic comedy formula that works.

Audtions are Tuesday, and Act One will be in the hands of sixty people come Thursday. I'm trying not to care too much if they like it, or find it funny or engaging, but it's not like a novel where you can write it and people pick it up or put it down according to their whims. This is somehing that a whole bunch of kids will have to inhabit for two months, and since they're kind people, they'll probably never tell me if they hate it. They'll be well-mannered and polite, and because of that, I might never really know if they really like it or not.

And even just talking about this is such a whiny, ego-driven writer cliche, but it's really how I feel.

My Sunday Night Anxiety problem is starting like six hours too early, but it's been such a whirlwind of a non-vacation and I know that tomorrow will be full tilt ahead. Two months of intensity, and then a little bit of breathing room, which will hopefully coincide perfectly with setting up housekeeping in our new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment